- 2013 Press Releases
- 2012 Press Releases
- 2011 Press Releases
- 2010 Press Releases
- 2009 Press Releases
- 2008 Press Releases
- 2007 Press Releases
- Lockheed Martin Receives Top Supplier Performance Award From UK Air Navigation Service Provider
- Lockheed Martin Conducts Successful Warrior Fightability & Lethality Improvement Programme Live Firing Trials
- Systems Integration Labs Now Online For Presidential Helicopter Program
- Helicopter Crews Say Thank-You To Havant
- Merlin MK1 Helicopter Achieves Full Operational Capability With Royal Navy
- Lockheed Martin UK INSYS Celebrates 50 Years Supporting The United Kingdom's Armed Forces
- UK Submarines Pioneer Lockheed Martin UK Digital Navigation
- Lockheed Martin Releases 2007 DSEi Press Briefing Schedule
- New £2 Million Manufacturing Centre Opens At Lockheed Martin UK - INSYS
- Imagine The Possibilities... Imagine A Career With Lockheed Martin UK
- Lockheed Martin UK Agrees FRES Teaming Agreement With Ultra Electronics
- Lockheed Martin UK To Provide Royal Mail With Additional Recognition Services
- SELEX S&AS Host Conference For Lockheed Martin UK - Led Merlin Capability Sustainment Plus Programme
- Lockheed Martin UK Completes FRES Electronic Architecture Technology Demonstration
- Lockheed Martin UK Wins Contract To Supply Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod For Harrier Urgent Operational Requirement
- Lockheed Martin UK Selected To Provide Live, Virtual Training Systems To Kuwait National Guard
- Lockheed Martin Announces Third Quarter 2007 Results
- Lockheed Martin Announces Second Quarter 2007 Results
- Lockheed Martin Announces First Quarter 2007 Results
- Lockheed Martin Announces 2006 Fourth Quarter And Year-End Results
- Signals Magazine
- Executive Speeches
Lockheed Martin UK Wins Contract To Supply Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod For Harrier Urgent Operational Requirement
LONDON, February 26, 2007 –
The Ministry of Defence has selected the Lockheed Martin Sniper® Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) to equip Harrier GR9 aircraft in response to an Urgent Operational Requirement (UOR.).
The selection of the Sniper ATP will allow the MoD to respond quickly to the UOR established by Royal Air Force (RAF) commanders in late 2006. The Sniper ATP’s advanced capabilities and interoperability between multiple platforms give commanders flexibility, and will allow the RAF Harrier to provide air cover for a broad array of coalition missions. Additionally, the Sniper ATP permits pilots to detect and identify weapon caches and individuals carrying armaments while remaining outside jet noise ranges.
“The UK MoD selected Sniper ATP for its proven combat capabilities and low-risk integration benefits,” said Hugh Woods, programme manager of Sniper ATP UK at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. “This was the first head-to-head competition in the UK for an advanced targeting pod.”
The Sniper ATP deliveries will begin in March 2007, with a full capability deployment in June 2007.
Sniper ATP’s low-risk integration was demonstrated in the Rapid Technology Insertion (RTI) Programme jointly funded by Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, and SELEX. This RTI resulted in a successful first flight of the Sniper ATP on the Harrier 60 days from inception of the project.
According to a Harrier test pilot, the performance of the Sniper pod on Harrier was exceptional in terms of resolution, accuracy and stability of the display. The quality of imagery and enhanced zoom facilities in both IR and TV allowed the identification of targets well beyond ranges currently possible.
The MoD joins the Royal Norwegian Air Force; the Polish Air and Air Defence Force; the Royal Air Force of Oman; Belgium Defence and other international customers in selecting the Sniper ATP.
In addition to the UK MoD’s Harrier GR9, Sniper ATP is currently flying on the U.S. Air Force and multinational F-15s, F-16s, A-10s and B-1s. Sniper ATPs have accumulated tens of thousands of flight hours in thousands of sorties in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Lockheed Martin UK, a unit of Lockheed Martin Corporation, is a leader in systems integration working on major programmes spanning the aerospace, defence and civil sectors. Lockheed Martin works with more than 100 business partners and employs over 1700 people at 15 sites across the UK.
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin employs about 140,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services.