- 2013 Press Releases
- 2012 Press Releases
- 2011 Press Releases
- 2010 Press Releases
- 2009 Press Releases
- Cranfield University Secures Defence and Civil Sector Research Grant from Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Lockheed Martin UK Conducts Successful Live Firing Trials of Warrior CSP Turret
- Lockheed Martin UK Shapes the World's Fastest Wheels
- Lockheed Martin UK Provides Royal Navy With New Situational Awareness Capability
- Lockheed Martin UK and Defence Support Group Sign Strategic Partnering Agreement
- Lockheed Martin UK-Led Warrior Transformation Team Submits Warrior CSP Proposal
- Royal Navy Commissions New Merlin Active Dipping Sonar Maintenance Rig
- Lockheed Martin UK Lands $5.9M Link 16 Interoperability Deal With Turkey
- Lockheed Martin UK Hosts First Volunteering Day
- Lockheed Martin UK Announces Alan McCormick as Vice President and Managing Director LMUK INSYS
- Ascent Signs MFTS Rear Crew Contract With MOD
- Lockheed Martin UK INSYS Ltd to Help Re-Invent the Wheel for World's Fastest Car
- Lockheed Martin UK to Unveil Innovative New Land Systems Designs at DVD 2009
- RNAS Culdrose Hosts Fourth Merlin Capability Sustainment Plus Supplier Conference
- AirKnight Submits SAR-H Technical Proposal
- Lockheed Martin UK and NDI Host Second Annual Land Domain Conference
- Lockheed Martin UK Acquires IMES Strategic Support Limited
- LEAPP Successfully Completes First Anchor Milestone
- F-35 JSF Arrives in the United Kingdom For Static Testing
- Lockheed Martin Supports 2009 National Security Agency Cyber Defense Exercise
- Lockheed Martin UK Facility Hosts Annual Supplier Awards
- Lockheed Martin UK Appoints Chief Operating Officer
- AirKnight Advances SAR-H Solution by Selecting Eurocopter's EC225
- Lockheed Martin Named "Company of the Year" by Frost and Sullivan
- VH-71 Presidential Helicopter Completes Initial Vibration Testing Phase on Schedule
- Lockheed Martin UK Delivers Increased Capability For Merlin Mk1 With New Defensive Aids Suite
- Lockheed Martin UK Announce New Chief Executive
- Lockheed Martin UK Facility Achieves Employee Safety Certification
- Third VH-71 Presidential Production Helicopter Completes Initial Flight
- Lockheed Martin to Engineer National Cyber Range for Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- First Production VH-71 Presidential Helicopter Arrives At Lockheed Martin To Start Final Production Phase
- Lockheed Martin Announces Second Quarter 2009 Results
- Lockheed Martin Announces First Quarter 2009 Results
- 2008 Press Releases
- 2007 Press Releases
- Signals Magazine
- Executive Speeches
VH-71 Presidential Helicopter Completes Initial Vibration Testing Phase on Schedule
OWEGO, NY, February 26, 2009 - The first Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] production VH-71 Presidential Helicopter has completed initial ground vibration testing on schedule at the end of January at the Navy's Presidential Helicopter Support Facility in Patuxent River, MD. The testing was conducted on a pre-missionized aircraft to test the basic airframe.
Pilot Production One (PP-1) spent roughly six weeks undergoing a series of tests intended to assess the airframe's vibration characteristics. As a production representative aircraft, the results will be used as a baseline measurement for all five VH-71 production helicopters that make up the first phase, or Increment One, of the VH-71 Presidential Helicopter Program, and to refine models used for structural analysis.
"Basically we lift the aircraft off the ground and vibrate it," said Naval Air Systems Engineer Bob Riser. "An accelerometer measures vibration and we see how the aircraft responds. In this case, it responded very well, and the PP-1 aircraft completed the initial Ground Vibration Test with no issues."
The aircraft was then flown to Lockheed Martin's Owego, NY, facility for integration of mission systems and installation of the cabin interior. PP-1 will undergo a second ground vibration testing period as a fully missionized aircraft to validate modeling results.
The VH-71 program is divided into two phases, or increments. Increment One provides five helicopters on an accelerated schedule with improved capabilities over the current fleet. Increment Two will provide a fleet of 23 helicopters that complete the White House requirements for a command and control platform.
Lockheed Martin Systems Integration-Owego is the prime contractor and systems integrator for the VH-71 program with overall responsibility for the program and aircraft system. AgustaWestland, the principal subcontractor, has responsibility for the basic air vehicle design, production build, and basic air vehicle support functions. Lockheed Martin and AgustaWestland have partnered for more than 17 years with a worldwide record of excellence dating back to the Royal Navy's EH101 Merlin Mk1 program.
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security company that employs about 146,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The corporation reported 2008 sales of $42.7 billion.