CEO & President
Addresses 1Q Results
Addresses 1Q Results
April 26, 2013
One of the qualities that distinguish Lockheed Martin is our constant focus on the future. We never stop thinking about what’s ahead and how we can make tomorrow’s world better than today’s. Our progress on that front will be measured not just by our balance sheet, it will be measured by the value we create for everyone who’s counting on us, including our customers, our communities, our partners and our shareholders, and you, our employees.
That’s why we’re renewing our commitment to sustainable business practices. Sustainability encompasses many activities that promote responsible growth, protect our environment, and strengthen our workforce and our communities. It means that we will continue to act with integrity in everything we do, and we will take action to: ensure the safety and health of our employees, develop a diverse and inclusive workforce, increase the environmental and social benefits of our products, make our operations greener, volunteer in our communities, and support science and technology education.
We’re aligning all of those initiatives under the banner of sustainability, because when they come together, they make us a stronger, more responsible, and more successful business.
You can read more about the progress we’ve made and the commitment we’re making to a brighter future in our second annual sustainability report, which we released on our website today. A few of the highlights include:
- In the employee survey, Ethics & Integrity was the highest rated element of our organizational health, and had the largest increase for the second year in a row.
- We reduced carbon emissions by more than 450,000 metric tons since 2007. That’s the equivalent of taking almost 100,000 cars off the road.
- We cut water usage by 700 million gallons since 2007—enough to fill 1,100 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- Simply by using less electricity, natural gas and water, we reduced consumption costs by more than $20 million in 2012 compared to just five years prior—savings we have reinvested back into the business.
- For the third year in a row, our support of small and diverse suppliers earned us an “outstanding” rating from the Defense Contract Management Agency.
- We innovated land, sea, air and space products that are smaller, lighter and use less power.
- And you, our employees, volunteered more than one million hours to help strengthen our communities.
That’s what sustainability is all about at Lockheed Martin: responsible business practices that create long-term value for everyone.
Tomorrow matters. And that’s why we’re building a sustainable business for today, tomorrow, and the next one hundred years. Thanks for doing your part!