A True Power Plant

Mustus Energy, Lockheed Martin plan to use residual tree waste to develop biomass energy facilities in Alberta

Mustus-Energy-Biomass-project-460 Lockheed Martin is engineering and managing the construction of Mustus Energy’s 41.5 megawatt biomass plant in La Crête, Alberta. Scheduled to begin operating in 2014, it will provide enough electricity to power more than 30,000 homes. Photo courtesy Mustus Energy.

According to the Alberta Forest Products Association, its members produced 2.8 billion board feet of lumber in 2011. That’s a lot of trees.

Lumber mills turn only about 40 percent of a tree into value added products. Mustus Energy plans to turn the remaining 60 percent into valuable electrical power and is looking to Lockheed Martin to help do it.

At an event in Calgary, Mustus Energy and Lockheed Martin announced on Sept. 11 its plans to work together to develop biomass power generation projects in Alberta. The two companies already are working on their first project – a 41.5 megawatt biomass plant in La Crête in northern Alberta.

“We’re excited to be working with Lockheed Martin to advance alternative energy power generation plants, helping to make Alberta a world-leader in biomass-generated electricity,” said Ross Maxwell, Mustus Energy’s CEO. “Lockheed Martin brings a vast range of expertise in project management of large-scale construction operations that will ensure the successful development of these facilities.”

A clean-energy company based in Alberta, Mustus Energy uses residual waste wood from forest industry facilities to fuel a clean combustion process that reduces harmful admissions while producing electrical energy. Mustus Energy believes its power plants will help meet Alberta’s energy needs and support local economies by providing a sustainable job base.

Lockheed Martin is engineering and managing the construction of the La Crête plant, which is expected to come on line in 2014 and provide enough electricity to power more than 30,000 homes. The company will continue to provide engineering, procurement and construction management services for Mustus Energy’s upcoming construction projects.

Lockheed Martin is experienced in developing biomass power generation stations. It currently is building a biomass facility in upstate New York for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  Lockheed Martin built and operates its own biomass plant at its Owego, N.Y., facility. The plant has helped reduce the site’s heating and cooling bills by half, saving approximately $1 million in fuel costs annually.

Posted on September 12, 2012

IWP-logo

Speaking of the Future: Energy


tile-learnmore-energy

Related Programs