More than a Bowl Game
(Left to Right): Brant Ringler, Executive Director, Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl; Rick Edwards, Executive Vice President, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control; Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price; and Orlando Carvalho, Executive Vice President, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics at the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl title sponsorship press conference on Feb. 7, 2014.
In 2013, Lockheed Martin hired more than 2,300 veterans, spent more than $1 billion with veteran-owned businesses, and participated in more than 200 workshops, scholarships and programs to help veterans and active duty military members transition to the civilian world. And now, as the title sponsor of the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas, we will help 10,000 former and active duty military members and their families attend this nationally televised college football game.
With approximately 25 percent of the domestic Lockheed Martin workforce having served in the military, we understand the significant contribution and sacrifices our armed forces make to ensure our global and national security. Sponsoring the Armed Forces Bowl is one more way that we can celebrate our patriotism and recognize the efforts of service men and women from all five branches of the military.
While this is the first year Lockheed Martin will be the title sponsor of a major sporting event, we’ve been involved with the Armed Forces Bowl and other initiatives that support the armed forces for years. Our Missiles and Fire Control business became a sponsor of the Armed Forces Bowl event in its early years. A few years later, our Aeronautics business joined in, furthering the impact we’ve had on our local military and veteran community.
While most other bowl games are focused primarily on the game itself and the schools competing, the Armed Forces Bowl is committed to honoring and recognizing active duty service members, wounded warriors, veterans and their families. Throughout the game, the Armed Forces Bowl will present the Great American Patriot Award, honor wounded warriors, present donations to military charities and donate a home to a deserving wounded warrior. The game is also broadcast through the Armed Forces Network to ensure that all service members can participate in the game – no matter where they are stationed around the world.
"Sponsoring the Armed Forces Bowl is one way for Lockheed Martin to support the men and women who bravely serve our nation and defend our freedoms,” said Marillyn Hewson, Lockheed Martin Chairman, President and CEO. “In addition to supporting the bowl game that often features the military academies, the event promotes recruiting for tomorrow’s armed forces, provides needed support for wounded warriors, and recognizes the selfless service of our veterans from every branch of service. These are missions that we believe are important and are proud to support.”
In addition to supporting the Armed Forces Bowl, we are committed to supporting the men and women of the military through all phases of their journey. Each year, we:
- Sponsor the Military Pavilion at the annual AT&T National PGA Tournament, supporting the Tiger Woods Foundation as it provides more than 30,000 complimentary tournament tickets to active duty service members, wounded warriors, veterans and their families.
- Sponsor the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Game in San Antonio, Texas. This annual game hosts the best high school football players and band members from around the country, and also serves as a major recruiting event for the Army.
- Provide assistance to wounded warriors and their families by supporting organizations such as Operation Mend.
- Partner with USO to send thousands of care packages to deployed Service members.
- Support the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation to honor and recognize Medal of Honor recipients.
- Participate in the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Veterans Employer Advisory Council, sharing best practices for hiring and retaining veterans.
- Support the Center for Character and Leadership Development at The Air Force Academy.
February 7, 2014
- Lockheed Martin has been a sponsor of the Armed Forces Bowl since the beginning.
- The Armed Forces Bowl puts a heavy emphasis on honoring active duty service members, veterans and their families.
- Sponsoring the Armed Forces Bowl is just one way Lockheed Martin recognizes the efforts of service men and women from all five branches of the military.
- Throughout the year, we support the men and women of the military through sponsorships, events and programs focused on improving their quality of life.