Lockheed Martin Named to the 2015 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index
BETHESDA, Md., September 14, 2015 – Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for 2015, maintaining its position on a respected benchmark for corporate sustainability for the second consecutive year.
The 2015 Index represents the top 10 percent of the largest 2,500 companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index based on long-term environmental, social and economic criteria. The underlying research methodology evaluates corporations based on a variety of specific criteria including climate strategy, operational eco-efficiency, human capital development, risk and crisis management, stakeholder engagement and corporate governance.
“As an aerospace and defense company, this achievement reflects the value of continuing sustainable product and process pursuits across our portfolio for socially and environmentally responsible long-term growth,” said Leo S. Mackay, Jr., vice president of Ethics and Sustainability for Lockheed Martin.
This Index, part of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) family, follows a best-in-class approach including companies across all industries that outperform their peers in numerous sustainability metrics. Launched in 1999, the DJSI were the first indices to track the financial performance of the leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. DJSI performs a yearly review of component selection and continuous monitoring of companies.
Lockheed Martin has long incorporated environmental, social and governance impacts in its operational considerations. Examples of Lockheed Martin’s sustainability leadership over the past five years include:
- 2011 – Released first Sustainability Report
- 2012 – Launched new environmental Go Green 2020 goals to reduce carbon emissions, energy, water, and waste from its operations
- 2013 – Released a Supplier Code of Conduct in a manner consistent with internationally recognized standards
- 2014 – Achieved a 62% decrease in employee recordable rates since launching its workplace safety Target Zero program a decade ago
- 2015 – Saved electric and gas utility customers over a million megawatt-hours of electricity and more than ten million therms of gas through its energy efficiency programs.
For more information on Lockheed Martin’s sustainability program, visit: www.lockheedmartin.com/sustainability.
About Lockheed Martin
Headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs approximately 112,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation’s net sales for 2014 were $45.6 billion.