Nominating and Corporate Governance Charter
The Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee (the “NCG Committee”) shall consist of three (3) or more directors who satisfy the independence requirements of the New York Stock Exchange. The members of the NCG Committee shall be elected by the Board of Directors to serve at the pleasure of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall designate a chairman from among the membership of the NCG Committee. On its own initiative or upon recommendation by the NCG Committee, the Board of Directors may remove any member of the NCG Committee at any time. Vacancies on the NCG Committee shall be filled by the Board of Directors.
The NCG Committee shall make recommendations to the Board of Directors concerning the composition of the Board of Directors and its committees including size and qualifications for membership; recommend to the Board of Directors the role of the Board of Directors in the corporate governance process; and oversee the evaluation of the Board of Directors and its committees.
In order to achieve the purposes outlined in this charter, the NCG Committee shall be assigned the following responsibilities:
(1) Nominees for Election to Board of Directors. Recommend to the Board of Directors nominees for election to fill any vacancy occurring in the Board and fill new positions created by an increase in the authorized number of directors of the Corporation. Each year, the NCG Committee shall recommend to the Board of Directors a slate of directors to serve as management’s nominees for election by the stockholders at the annual meeting. The NCG Committee shall annually review the criteria for selection of director nominees and shall identify individuals for nomination as directors of the Corporation whose selection is consistent with the corporate governance guidelines of the Board of Directors.
(2) Board and Committee Organization and Assignments. Oversee the organization and function of the committees of the Board of Directors; each year, the NCG Committee shall recommend to the Board of Directors the membership of each committee to be effective following the annual meeting of stockholders. The NCG Committee shall recommend the filling of any vacancy occurring on a committee, as needed.
(3) Corporate Governance Guidelines. Develop and recommend to the Board of Directors corporate governance guidelines applicable to the Corporation and compliant with applicable requirements, which shall be reviewed from time to time as needed.
(4) Compensation of Directors. Review and recommend to the Board of Directors the compensation of the Board of Directors, including the nature and adequacy of director and officer indemnification and liability insurance.
(5) Board and Committee Self-Assessments. Develop and recommend to the Board of Directors an annual self-evaluation of the Board of Directors and each of its committees. The NCG Committee shall annually conduct an evaluation of its performance.
In furtherance of its responsibilities, the NCG Committee shall possess the following authorities:
(1) Outside Advisors. The NCG Committee may retain, at company expense, any outside advisor, including outside counsel and shall have sole authority to retain and terminate any search firm to be used to identify director candidates, including sole authority to approve the search firm’s fees and other retention terms.
(2) Delegated Authority. The NCG Committee may perform such other functions and exercise such other powers as may be delegated to it from time to time by the Board of Directors.
(3) Reports to Board of Directors. The NCG Committee shall report all action by the NCG Committee to the Board of Directors at its meeting next succeeding such action, which shall be subject to revision and alteration by the Board of Directors.
(4) Committee Charter. The NCG Committee shall review and recommend to the Board of Directors the adequacy of its charter and proposed changes from time to time as needed.
- Douglas H. McCorkindale – Chairman
- Nolan D. Archibald
- James O. Ellis, Jr.
- Thomas J. Falk
- Gwendolyn S. King