- In the Community
- Corporate Governance
- Diversity and Equal Opportunity
Energy, Environment, Safety and Health
- Lockheed Martin International
- Our History
- Social Media
- Our Businesses
Martin State Airport, Maryland
Located on 750 acres of waterfront property in Middle River, Md., the Glenn L. Martin State Airport is operated as a general aviation facility by the Maryland Aviation Administration (MAA) and is the operations home for the Maryland Air National Guard.
The property, purchased by the State of Maryland from the Martin Marietta Corporation in 1975, had been part of a larger site acquired by Glenn L. Martin, an early pioneer in aircraft manufacturing. For many years the facility served as an airport for military planes produced at the adjacent Martin assembly plants.
Investigation of four specific areas at the airport began after bits of crushed, buried drums were discovered along a taxiway median in 1991. Lockheed Martin became involved when debris uncovered at the site suggested a link between the heritage company and the areas being probed.
As the former site owner and a conscientious corporate citizen, Lockheed Martin took samples and conducted tests to evaluate the nature and extent of the contamination.
The investigation found the presence of volatile organic compounds (commonly used solvents and degreasers) in the groundwater and certain metals (such as cadmium) and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs; by-products of asphalt, burning, etc.) in site soils and airport pond sediments.
In the interest of expediting site cleanup, Lockheed Martin is evaluating various remedial alternatives in parallel with the site investigation to be ready to implement a remedy when the investigation is complete. The Corporation is committed to continuing its work with Maryland Department of the Environment and the MAA to develop a cleanup strategy.
- Supplemental Main Terminal Phase II Site Investigation Report, October 2013, Rev. 1
- Technical Memorandum: March 2013 Surface Water Sampling Results for Frog Mortar Creek, September 2013
- Taxiway Tango Soil Characterization Report, June 2013, Rev. 1
- 2012 Surface Water Sampling Report for Frog Mortar Creek June 2013
- Dump Road Area Characterization of Possible Source Areas Report, May 2013