Annual Ethics Reminder for Suppliers
November 2020 --
With a year that has brought the unexpected, our shared values of ethics and integrity served as an unwavering source of strength. When a supplier can mirror back the same ethical principles that anchor Lockheed Martin, it projects a signal of core values across our industry, which is an overarching goal of our sustainability efforts.
Most importantly, thank you. As a supplier to Lockheed Martin, you serve the greater mission of our customers by delivering affordable, high-quality products and services. As stated in our purchase orders, we value relationships that are grounded in a shared commitment to performing in accordance with the highest standards of professional business conduct. Our Supplier Code of Conduct, which is referenced in all purchase orders, expresses the ethical expectations we hold for ourselves and for you as a supplier to our company. With the upcoming holiday season, we ask that you pay special attention to our policy concerning gifts and business courtesies:
At Lockheed Martin, we compete on the merits of our products and services and do not use the exchange of business courtesies to gain an unfair competitive advantage. We expect the same of our suppliers in the offering or receipt of any gift or business courtesy, including cash and cash equivalents. In particular, note that our employees who are in any way involved in procurement decisions are subject to even more strict limitations, and may not accept any business courtesies, with the exception of very low value promotional items. In any business relationship, our suppliers must ensure that the offering or receipt of any gift or business courtesy is permitted by law and regulation; does not violate the rules and standards of the recipient’s organization; is consistent with reasonable marketplace customs; and will not adversely impact the reputation of Lockheed Martin.
We are committed to providing supplier Ethics resources to aid in strengthening your organization’s program. Below are highlights of updated or new Ethics resources from this year, as well as those proven resources that remain available to you.
May you and your families remain healthy through these challenging and unprecedented times.
New This Year
- Ethics Minicourses: Lockheed Martin recently released a set of minicourses for each of the twelve key elements that make up an effective Ethics program, to help you build and sustain your own ethics programs.
- Updated Lockheed Martin Supplier Code of Conduct, which is referenced in all purchase orders, expresses the ethical expectations we hold for ourselves and for you as a supplier to our company. We ask that you pay special attention to our policy concerning gifts and business courtesies
- Small Business Focus Groups: Lockheed Martin hosted focus groups to better understand the unique needs of small business suppliers. From these sessions, we identified key themes and new ideas for Ethics resources that will be developed in 2021.
- A variety of free, self-serve ethics resources for suppliers, such as topic-specific resources and supplier self-assessment tool.
- Suppliers can also request to work one-on-one with a Lockheed Martin Ethics Officer on their ethics program.
- We recommend downloading the free Small Business Toolkit developed by the Defense Industry Initiative on Business Ethics and Conduct. The toolkit contains guidance for setting up an ethics program, template policies, procedures and compliance training and much more.