Through Engineers in the Classroom and engineering focused initiatives, Aeronautics reached tens of thousands of students in 2014.
- During Code Quest, our employees challenged the computer programming knowledge of 213 students.
- We reached 60 students through the STARBASE Academy.
- Space Day impacted 30 students by giving them the opportunity to explore careers in science, technology, engineering and math.
Impact in the Community
In 2014, Aeronautics employees volunteered more than 196,000 hours to support our local communities.
Through the LM AERO Club, or Aeronautics Employees Reaching Out Club, Aeronautics employees donated more than $3,200,000 to local non-profit organizations. In addition, our employees supported initiatives that improve our communities, support health and wellness causes, and make an impact in the areas where we live and work. These included:
- Supporting the American Heart Association through employee participation and donations.
- Raising money by bowling for Junior Achievement during the annual Bowl-a-thon.
- Employees supporting blood drives across Aeronautics.
- Volunteering and donating money to Special Olympics.
- Donating food items to support Feed by Faith.
In 2014, we supported numerous causes that improve the quality of life for our service men and women and their families. From stuffing care packages to greeting veterans at the airport, we are committed to supporting the men and women of the military through all phases of their journey. Some of the ways we’re supporting our troops include:
- Welcoming and honoring World War II veterans at the airport terminal.
- Donating time and money to stuff 4,750 care packages.
- Preparing 500 necessity care packages for wounded, ill and injured service members.
At Aeronautics, we go to great lengths to look for new ways to “go green.” Last year:
- Energy consumption was reduced across Aeronautics by 23%.
- We reduced water usage by 28%.
- Waste to landfills was reduced by 48%.