- In the Community
- Corporate Governance
- Diversity and Equal Opportunity
Energy, Environment, Safety and Health
- Our Commitment
- Safety and Health
- Energy and Environmental Stewardship
- Product Stewardship
- Beaumont, CA
- Burbank, CA
- Redlands, Loma Linda, Riverside, CA
- Akron, OH
- Tallevast, FL
- Burlington, MA
- Wilmington, MA
- Martin State Airport, MD
- Middle River, MD
- East Windsor, NJ
- Moorestown, NJ
- North Plainfield, NJ
- Great Neck, NY
- Liverpool, NY
- Utica, NY
- The Dalles, OR
- Goldendale, WA
- Seattle, WA
- Valley Forge, PA
- Lockheed Martin International
- Our History
- Social Media
- Our Businesses
REDLANDS, LOMA LINDA, RIVERSIDE, CALIFORNIA
From 1954 to 1974, Lockheed Propulsion Company, a forerunner to Lockheed Martin, operated a 500-acre rocket motor production facility at 1500 Crafton Avenue, Mentone, California.
- The facility was on the eastern boundary of the Bunker Hill Basin in San Bernardino County. The basin encompasses approximately 120 square miles in the upper Santa Ana River Valley.
- Past agricultural and industrial activities in the basin resulted in a perchlorate-impacted area covering more than 10 square miles in the basin.
- Groundwater contaminant plumes within the Bunker Hill Basin include the Crafton-Redlands plume, Newmark Muscoy plume, Norton Air Force Base plume, Santa Fe plume, and the agricultural perchlorate plume.
Lockheed Martin installed new water wells, water treatment systems, pipelines, and blending equipment for the basin’s water purveyors.
- Groundwater in the basin provides drinking water for several cities and institutions in the area, including Riverside, Redlands, Loma Linda and Loma Linda University.
- The water treatment plants are operated by the cities of Riverside, Redlands, and Loma Linda with funding from Lockheed Martin.
- Lockheed Martin continues to work collaboratively with the water purveyors.
- Data from monitoring wells indicate that the cleanup remedies are successfully removing significant quantities of perchlorate and TCE from the area.
See REDLANDS, LOMA LINDA, RIVERSIDE FACT SHEET 2017 for more information
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT:
Mékell Mikell CORporate Communications
- 1954 - 1974 Lockheed Propulsion Company operated.
- 1994, 1997, and 2001 SARWQCB issues orders concerning clean-up.
- 2004 - Water Treatment Plant installed at Loma Linda University.
- 2010 - Perchlorate and TCE Treament System becomes operational.