Celebrating 75 Years of Innovation in Fort Worth
More than 7,000 military aircraft produced. Jobs for more than 250,000 people.
These are just two examples of the significant impact Air Force Plant 4 has made during its 75 years in Fort Worth.
Today, the Fort Worth plant employs about 14,000, is the largest employer Tarrant County, and represents an economic impact of about $634 million … and it will continue to grow in the coming years.
The current success in Fort Worth was only attainable by building on our storied 75-year history with employee commitment, constant innovation, an ability to reinvent ourselves, and a sustained focus on meeting customer needs.
Here are some of the ways we’ve done that since 1942.
1940s and 1950s: The Bomber Plant
Air Force Plant 4 began operations in west Fort Worth on April 18, 1942. Construction was completed in less than a year. To satisfy the blackout conditions necessary for wartime, the plant had no windows. As such, it needed a lot of lights and air conditioning – the bill of which was equivalent to $282,000 per month in today’s dollars.
Bombers were the focus in the 1940s and 1950s, earning the facility a nickname among locals that endures today: the “bomber plant.” Production of the B-24 Liberator began in February 1942 while parts of the facility were still under construction. Eventually 2,743 B-24’s were produced in Fort Worth. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt visited Air Force Plant 4 in 1942 for the delivery of the first B-24.