F-35 for Republic of Korea
The F-35 Lightning II
The Republic of Korea (ROK) faces a complex threat environment and the stealth F-35A provides the Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) an enhanced capability to protect safety and security.
The Republic of Korea concluded its F-X III fighter acquisition program with the signing of a Letter of Offer and Acceptance (LOA) between the U.S. and Korean governments on September 30, 2014, for 40 F-35A Conventional Take Off and Landing (CTOL) variant jets with initial deliveries beginning in 2018.
The first F-35A for the ROKAF, known as aircraft AW-1, made its public debut in late March 2018 and pilot training began at Luke AFB, Ariz. in spring 2018. Aircraft were delivered to Chongju Air Base in 2019 to meet South Korea’s national security requirements.
- Aircraft Variant: F-35A
- Program of Record: 40 Aircraft
- Aircraft Delivered: 6
- Flight Hours: 650+
- Pilots Trained: 2
- Maintainers Training: 54
- Cheongiu Air Base
- 2014: Republic of Korea concluded its F-X III fighter acquisition program and selected the F-35
- 2018: The first F-35A for the ROKAF, known as aircraft AW-1, takes flight in Fort Worth, TX
- 2018: The first F-35A for the ROKAF, known as aircraft AW-1, delivered to Luke AFB, AZ
- 2018: Pilot Training began at Luke AFB, AZ
대한민국은 여러 위협들이 증가하는 상황과 어려운 운용 환경에 직면해 있다. 지상에서는 복잡한 방공망 시스템들의 위협이 존재하고 공중에서는 여러 주변 국가들이 5세대 전투기 역량을 갖추려고 노력 중에 있다. 5세대 전투기 중 F-35 스텔스기는 증가하는 위협들에 대비하기 위한 최고의 플랫폼이며, 최초 설계 단계부터 위협들을 인지하고 제작된 유일한 전투기다.