The Former Martin-Marietta Aluminum Reduction Facility is located in The Dalles, Oregon, west of the Columbia River. The Martin Marietta Corporation used the Site for aluminum production activities from 1958 to 1984. During operations, contaminants were released to environment. These releases polluted soil and groundwater at the Site.
In 1987, the Site was listed as a Superfund site. From 1989 to 1992, the Martin Marietta Corporation, with oversight from EPA, cleaned up the Site. Cleanup consisted of consolidating waste in an onsite landfill and placing a soil cover over a pond area that received liquid waste. In 1996, EPA deleted the Site from the list of priority sites, but activities to maintain the landfill and former pond area will continue as long as there is waste left on the Site.