Located on 750 acres of waterfront property in Middle River, Md., the Glenn L. Martin State Airport is operated as a general aviation facility by the Maryland Aviation Administration (MAA) and is the operations home for the Maryland Air National Guard.
The property, purchased by the State of Maryland from the Martin Marietta Corporation in 1975, had been part of a larger site acquired by Glenn L. Martin, an early pioneer in aircraft manufacturing. For many years the facility served as an airport for military planes produced at the adjacent Martin assembly plants.
Investigation of four specific areas at the airport began after bits of crushed, buried drums were discovered along a taxiway median in 1991.
Lockheed Martin became involved when debris uncovered at the site suggested a link between the heritage company and the areas being probed.
As the former site owner and a conscientious corporate citizen, Lockheed Martin took samples and conducted tests to evaluate the nature and extent of the contamination in site soils and airport pond sediments.
The investigation found the presence of
- volatile organic compounds (commonly used solvents and degreasers) in the groundwater
- certain metals (such as cadmium)
- polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs; by-products of asphalt, burning, etc.)
In the interest of expediting site cleanup, Lockheed Martin is evaluating various remedial alternatives in parallel with the site investigation to be ready to implement a remedy when the investigation is complete.
The Corporation is committed to continuing its work with Maryland Department of the Environment and the MAA to develop a cleanup strategy.
For more information view the Fact Sheet Fall 2021.
Lockheed Martin Middle River Partners with Community to Develop Collaborative Relationships at Remediation Projects
- 2022 Annual Groundwater Report
- 2022 Annual Surface Water Report FMC
- 2022 Annual Greater Strawberry Point Area Long-Term Groundwater Monitoring Report
- Lifting of Water Contact Advisory Poster
- 2022 Greater Strawberry Point Trichloroethene Characterization Report
- Technical Memorandum: August 2022 Surface Water Sampling Results for Frog Mortar Creek
- Technical Memorandum: July 2022 Surface Water Sampling Results for Frog Mortar Creek
- Technical Memorandum: March 2022 Surface Water Sampling Results for Frog Mortar Creek
- 2021 Annual Surface Water Sampling Report
- September 2021 Surface Water Sampling Results
For Frog Mortar Creek
- 2021 Groundwater Monitoring Report
View a List of Terms Commonly Used in Relation to General Environmental Remediation Efforts
If you have questions, please contact Lockheed Martin Communications.