Merlin Training System
The Merlin Training System (MTS) or 'Merlin University' is a comprehensive training facility using helicopter simulators designed to train air and maintenance crews in the operation and support of the Merlin Mk2 and CROWSNEST Weapons System.
Based at RNAS Culdrose, the purpose built Merlin Training Facility (MTF) contains a variety of media used for the training of Merlin Mk2 aircrew and maintainers.
- Flight simulators - These consist of a cockpit dynamic simulator and a cockpit procedural trainer for pilots, observers and engineers.
- Two Mk2 rear-crew trainers and one rear crew CROWSNEST trainer - For observer & aircrewman.
- Weapon system trainer - For first-line corrective and preventive maintenance, fault diagnosis, weapon loading, landing gear flotation system maintenance and role fit training for engineers and aircrew familiarisation.
- Mechanical system trainer - For first-line corrective and preventive maintenance, fault diagnosis for engineers and aircrew familiarisation.
- Engine part task trainer - Allows second-line maintenance and fault diagnosis training to be carried out at a modular level.
- Human Interface (HMIT) Trainer - A classroom suite of desk top trainers utilised to train Observers and Aircrew on the Merlin Mk2 mission systems Sonar and Radar before utilising the Merlin Mk2 Rear Crew Simulators and the Merlin Mk2 itself.
- Computer Based Training (CBT) - Sequenced CBT lessons would normally be used by students as an introduction to Merlin, followed by self-paced theory modules, but can be used subsequently to reinforce any of the practical training elements.