From the early 1950s through 1993, the General Electric Company (GE) manufactured, assembled and tested electrical components for the defense and aerospace industries at the French Road facility in Utica, New York.
- In the early 1950’s, General Electric Company (GE) acquired property measuring approximately 55 acres on French Road in Utica, New York and constructed an approximate 500,000 square foot manufacturing plant.
- Production operations conducted by GE at this plant included the manufacture, assembly and testing of electrical components for the defense and aerospace industries (e.g.,radar, aircraft guidance systems).
- These production operations were conducted by GE until April 1993, when the facility was acquired by Martin Marietta Corporation.
- In March 1995, Martin Marietta merged with Lockheed Corporation to form Lockheed Martin Corporation.
- In March 1996, Lockheed Martin sold the property to Pinnacle Park, Inc., which subsequently transferred the property to and leased it back from the Oneida County Industrial Development Agency (OCIDA).
- ConMed Corporation, a company that manufactures and distributes medical supplies, now occupies the facility under a lease with OCIDA.
- Lockheed Martin no longer owns the site, but it has retained responsibility for implementing environmental remediation at the facility.
- The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) and the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) are overseeing the work.remediation efforts.
Lockheed Martin work includes two locations at the facility:
Solvent Dock Area, where Lockheed Martin currently is conducting an investigation to determine environmental conditions.
View Solvent Dock Information & Documents
West Lot Site, which has been under remediation since the early 1990s and is now being evaluated for closure within New York’s Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Site program
View West Lot Information & Documents
View a List of Terms Commonly Used in Relation to General Environmental Remediation Efforts
If You Have Questions Please Contact Corporate Communications at 800.449.4486
View the 1st Quarter 2022 Corrective Action Progress Report
View the 2021 Annual Site Management Report
Demolition & Focused Soil Excavations Info Sept 2019
1950’s - General Electric Company (GE) acquired property
1970's - West Lot site used for fire fighting training.
1990's - Extensive investigation of soil and groundwater was conducted
April 1993 - Facility was acquired by Martin Marietta Corporation
1993 - Martin Marietta entered into an Order on Consent for the West Lot Site
1994 -Soil from the burn pit area was excavated and placed into a containment cell as an interim remedial measure.
1995 - The Remedial Investigaton was completed
March 1995 - Martin Marietta merged with Lockheed to form Lockheed Martin Corporation.
March 1996 - Lockheed Martin sold the property to Pinnacle Park, Inc.
1997 - Feasibility Study was completed
1999 - Further excavation activities were conducted and completed to remove additional impacted soil from the former burn pit area.
2001 - 2002 - Groundwater extraction system was installed became fully operational.
2001 - 2007 - The groundwater remedy operated, at which time it was approved for shutdown by the NYSDEC.
2005 - Further soil removal in the burn pit area was conducted to enhance the groundwater cleanup.
January 2007 - The extraction well was shut down,
October 2008 - NYSDEC issued an Order on Consent to Lockheed Martin.